Tuesday, April 14, 2009

VIVA LA ICE CREAM TRUCK

When I moved from Pompano Beach to the city in which I now reside, I noticed three (3) things.
1. I never heard any ice cream trucks riding around...ever.
2. There were no sto' (store) houses.
3. It was waaaayyyy to quiet.

In Pompano, ice cream trucks rode around the neighborhoods 24/7. Seriously, at midnight, you would still hear that familiar jingle warning you that the ice cream truck was near. Not only did they sell ice cream, but the more successful ones also had chips, hot dogs, and hot sausages. I used to spend all of my lil money anytime the truck came around. If my money wasn't spent there, I was constantly at a sto' house. Buying Lilly Dillies, pig feet (before I knew they were really pig feet), hot sausages, pickled eggs, and salt and vinegar chips. Damn... just thinking about it makes me want to ride to Pno and find the nearest sto' house.
I've been in my current location for atleast eight (8) years now. I completely forgot ice cream trucks even existed it. But I have news for the world to read! The other day while on Sawgrass Expressway, I seen something beautiful. It came in the form of a speeding van, one who cut me off as we both raced to our destinations. Yes, it was an ice cream truck. They still do exist!! Lmao



No comments: