Monday, April 13, 2009

We Only Have Ourselves to Blame



As a minority, you would think that African Americans would band together and stand up for one another. We are constantly speaking of being oppressed, and begging for the rights we feel are being witheld from us. Yet very rarely do we stop and take a look at what got us in the predicament in the first place.
As Americans, we like to play "THE BLAME GAME"; it's what we're good at. Never do we admit that maybe, just maybe, we are at fault for our own short-comings. For every obstacle that is put in front of us, we feel that " it's the white man trying to tear us down". Every negative aspect of our lives it's a result of someone else hating to see us succeed.

As a society, we need to realize who is truly at fault. Who is really trying to keep us down?

In my art appreciation class today I was reminded of a fact that I'd known long ago, but had placed way back in the far corners of my mind. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it was because slowly I am being brainwashed by the feelings of the majority.Maybe it wasn't. The real fact of the matter is that I am happy I was reminded at a point in my life where I could actually interpret and use the information for my overall well being.

For hundreds of years, blacks have been holding a grudge against whites because of slavery. We still feel as though we are not considered equals. Feeling deep pain from the idea that other would come to our homeland, uproot us, and force us into working for them and following their rules. But are they really the ones to blame?

Check your history books. Some of the first people to capture Africans and force them into slavery, were actually Africans themselves. They would go into other lands, and capture other tribe members, selling them to Europeans and Americans for monetary value and supplies. The oppressed being the oppressors.




Now I'm not taking up for Europeans or Caucasians by any means. Just because one does it, doesnt make it okay, or morally correct for you to do it. I am just make the point to show you that maybe "THE WHITE MAN" isn't holding us down as much as we think he is. Maybe we ourselves are the only ones keeping us at a standstill.

Imagine if we all got together and worked to become a major force in our nation, the dream that is America would be ours for the taking. We should stop feeling sorry for ourselves and the past, and use our history as a stepping stone, or motivational force to push the African American society to the fore-front.

Lets stop being crabs in a bucket;instead of pulling each other down when one succeeds, lets build each other up so that we all may succeed.

-Sincerely,

A Motivated Black Woman.




No comments: